SOUTHEND LIBRARY UPDATE - APRIL 2018
Our partners in The Forum library, Southend Borough Council, have joined a consortium of libraries across the South East of England, called The South East Library Management Service (SELMS).
This means that our students and staff gain access to over 6
million books through the new partner libraries.
This is a very positive benefit. At the moment, however, as we go through the changeover period, some problems are arising and we can only apologise.
Under the new system:
- Your library barcode (on the back of your student card) continues to work for borrowing books in The Forum.
Your PIN number has reverted to your date of birth in six figures (if you ever changed it to something else).
- Essex County Council is not currently a member of SELMS, which means that your library barcode will no longer let you borrow books from libraries around Essex
(apart from the libraries in Southend, where it will still work). If you want to be able to borrow books from Essex public libraries and you live in Essex, you can apply for a separate Essex Libraries borrowing card.
- While the changeover continues, please go to one of the service desks in The Forum if you need help, or speak to our librarians at the Info Point on the second floor of The Forum.
- The new catalogue is worth waiting for as it will be easier to search and it will contain many more books.
- Southend Borough Council also have an update page. Please also look at their page for updates.