Donald Davie Papers
Donald Davie Papers
Library Quick links
Pamphlet Box 1 (papers deposited with the Library)
1. Two letters from Adrian Stokes, dated 28 and 30 May 1956, about his relations with Ezra Pound and the Cantos.
2. Letter from Philip Larkin, dated 23 July 1968, about correspondence with the Arts Council concerning the reserve price of some papers. Two photographs (Donald Davie; Donald Davie/Philip Larkin) with Philip Larkin's comments on the back of them. (One compliments slip, on which DD has written 'Confidential').
Letter from James (Reeves), 20 September 1956.
1. John Montague A new siege, 1970. A signed and inscribed 'poet-card'.
2. Letter from Frank Lissauer, Northern Book Auctions, (to Philip Long (?), about a forthcoming sale of Donald Davie papers). n.d.
3. Letter from Donald Davie to Philip Long, 7 October 1975.
4. Three letters from Padraic Fallon, 20 March, 9 July and 18 September 1973.
5. Copy of a letter from Philip Long to Donald Davie, 17 September 1975.
Envelope 4 (marked 'Private and Confidential)
1. Letter from Kathleen Raine (n.d.)
2. Letter from Herbert Read, 15 September 1967.
3. Two letters from Robert Lowell, 2 June 1967 and 24 July 1967.
4. Letter from Thom ? , 975 Filbert, San Francisco, 27 November 1968.
5. Photocopy of a transcript of an interview, which took place in April 1968 at the University of Essex ... with John Barrell. 19 pp.
6. Photocopy of mss. notes, including L'avenir de l'intelligence, Oak leaves, At the edge of town. 22 pp.
7. Extract from The Listener, 24 October 1968. Forgotten poet (Fulke Greville) by Donald Davie.
1.In the Geography school. July 1990.
Letter, 25 November 1994, to James Sambrook, together with a signed copy of To scorch or freeze. (Items donated to the Library by James Sambrook, 12 December 2003.)
Donald Davie Notebook (a) December 23 (1957) - May 16 1959
103 mss. pages including:
Notes on Malone Dies by Samuel Beckett (Grove Press), December 29 1957;
Scott, Pushkin, Mickiewicz: plan for 2 lectures to be given at Berkeley;
March Hare (January 21 1958); From a Californian Garden (January 23 1958);
A Voice from the Garden; California Redwoods; Triptych (April 13 1958);
The Death of a Father; Notes on Lectures by H. M. McLuhan (June 25 1958);
At Sea (September 7 1958); Pontiac (September 16 1958);
A Russian Couple (September 25 1958); Summer Night (December 3 1958)
Donald Davie Notebook (b) Journal vol. VI, February 8 1952 - September 2 1952.
206 pages, mss., and endpaper. Indexed (partial), inside cover.
Folder marked 'Poems'
1. Envelope marked "letters from Yvor Winters, with 2 from Basil Bunting", containing:
a) Eleven letters from Yvor Winters, 9 December 1949; 16 January 1950 (with a typewritten copy of To the Holy Spirit); 6 February 1950; 27 February 1950; 10 April 1950; 6 May 1950; 27 May 1950; 5 July 1950; 2 August 1950; 7 January 1951; 26 December 1958; a second letter of 26 December 1958; signed 'Arthur'.
b) Two letters from Basil Bunting 25 September 1975 and 9 October 1975.
2. Envelope marked "Typescript etc. for 6 Epistles to Eva Hesse", containing:
a) A SECOND Epistle to Eva Hesse (7 typescript pages) with mss. amendments.
b) A ms. note about the six epistles to Eva Hesse (1 page) with mss. amendments.
c) A THIRD Epistle to Eva Hesse (5 typescript pages) with mss. amendments.
d) A FOURTH Epistle to Eva Hesse (5 typescript pages) with mss. amendments.
e) A LAST Epistle for Eva Hesse (4 typescript pages) with mss. amendments.
3. Envelope marked 'Cochrane and Lady Cochrane. Worksheets'
a) Cochrane; Lady Cochrane, Countess of Dundonald (4 typescript pages) with mss. amendments.
b) Cochrane, and his Lady (6 pages, mss.)
c) Admiral Lord Cochrane Upon his Return from Brazil (4 typescript pages) with mss. amendments.
d) Lord Cochrane de Chile (by) Pablo Neruda ......... Westminster, 1970.
e) Letter from Dr. S. Collier, 8 June 1971.
f) Cochrane (and Lady Cochrane). Photocopy from T.L.S.
g) To Certain English Poets/To Helen Keller (1 printed page)
4. Brantome (1 typescript page)
5. Emigrant, To the Receding Shore (2 printed pages, from Malahat Review Signed Donald Davie)
6. To brother in the mystery; A meeting of cultures. (4 typescript pages, with mss. notes)
7. Christmas Syllabics. For a Wife (1 typescript page, signed Donald Davie)
8. To Certain English Poets (1 typescript page).
9. Energies (Na - Khi) (1 typescript page, with footnote 'Published in The Listener)
10. England (10 typescript pages, with mss. notes and initialled D.A.D.)
11. Under the Southern Cross (1 typescript page)
12. Fatherhood (1 typescript page, with mss. amendment, Footnote 'Unpublished')
13. The North Sea, in Snow (1 typescript page)
14. An Oriental Visitor (2 typescript pages, with footnote 'Published in The Times Library Supplement' and initialled D.A.D.)
15. ESPISTLE. To Enrique Caracciolo Trejo (2 typescript pages, with footnote 'Published in The Times Library Supplement' and initialled D.A.D.)
16. Woes of the Calling (1 typescript page, with mss. amendment)
17. Carte Michelin No. 60 (3 typescript pages; and 2 carbons of pages 1 and 2)
18. To a Teacher of French (1 typescript page, with footnote 'published in Critical Quarterly')
19. Trevenen (9 typescript pages with mss. amendments)
20. Widowers (1 typescript page, with mss. amendments)
21. Widowers (1 typescript page)
22. Mandelstam; Tom i (1 page, ms)
23. Woes of the Calling, II (1 page, ms)
24. Woes of the Calling, III (1 page, ms)
25. An English Couple (1 typescript page with mss. amendments)
26. Pasternak (1 page, ms, with Back of Affluence, typescript)
27. 5 pages mss, with heading 'July to November', and beginning "I smell a smell of death".
Lot 9a - Purity of diction in English verse (154 typescript leaves, with ms. corrections and addenda)
Lot 9b - Journal vol. X, October, 1954 - April 1955. 181 pages, mss. Indexed (partial), inside cover.
Lot 9c - Section: Rock-Drill 85-95 de los cantares by Ezra Pound. Copy of limited first edition, annotated by Davie.
Lot 9d - A winter talent and other poems (First edition, Love-Poems and Jacob's Ladder inscribed on first pages)
Lot 9e - July, 1964 (1 page, ms.)
Lot 9f - Rodez (1 typescript page with mss. amendments)
Lot 9g - England (8 typescript working drafts with mss. amendments, comprising 69 leaves in total)
Lot 9h - Six Epistles to Eva Hesse (12 typescript working drafts with mss. amendments, comprising 55 leaves in total)
Lot 9i - Of Graces (2 typescript pages with mss. amendments)